Thursday 25 August 2016

Freedom Film Fest FFF

Lecturer from Malaysia Media and Culture course has introduced us to Freedom Film Fest which held on the 20th August which last for 8 days. I went for the first day and I am introduced to few of the documentary. Before attending FFF, I though it will be a normal screening of local films. Right after the first documentary that I watched that day, I am totally wrong. In fact it is a fest that allow people to watch film that are not viewable for others due to human rights sensitivity. This makes me reflect that it is actually a meaningful and extraordinary film fest.

The three documentary that premiered that night

  •  “Stories From My Father” (Kisah Ayahku) by Ashleigh Lim



  •   “Unlocking Bengoh” (Bengoh: Dua Perjalanan) by Nova Goh

  • “Voyage to Terengganu” (Kisah Pelayaran ke Terengganu) by Amir Muhammad & Badrul Hisham Ismail 



The documentary I like the most among all are the Stories from My Father. It is about the story of  director Ashleigh Lim's  father who was once a detainee without trial under Internal Security Act (ISA). It is quite a heartfelt documentary as it shows the hardship of a man went though in his life and now he is able to tell the truth to the society. Besides, it also involve story of him and his wife love story which sound kind of like Taiwan drama. His wife has never left him even though he is being detained and never know when he will be released. The part where he and his friends are being detained and they are not allowed to access to any water. He survived by drinking his own urine are heartbreaking. It makes me think that does those inhumanity system still exist or not.

 I am impressed by the directer who are also his daughter have the courage to produce this documentary as it might cause some issues. Furthermore, I think it set a good example for the current generation to realize the importance of history. They need to have the intentions and curiosity to know all these before it is completely buried to the ground.









No comments:

Post a Comment